Apr 23, 2011

Setting the bar low.

On the dating site, there is one woman whose journal I read quite frequently because all she really does is post short questions after which a slew of members will usually chime in on.

It can be interesting sometime to see those answers, sometimes it’s just observing stupidity.

So, she recently put up the following question:
standing ovation

What is the most recent thing that you deserve a standing ovation for?
And one woman responded thusly:

Giving birth. Every woman should be given a round of applause for that feat. 
Really?

Really?!?!

I’m sorry but you’re going to have to take your head out of your ass on that one. Dogs give birth, so do cows, so do cats, so do rats... should we applaud them all? Is it no less difficult for any other female member of the animal kingdom?

I can honestly say I wouldn’t relish the prospect of passing a bowling ball through my a-hole – a description I used when talking to a former flame in the hours after she gave birth to her first child, one which she acknowledged being fairly accurate.

It sounds... painful.

Well that’s an understatement, it sounds REALLY F#@%*N’ PAINFUL!

But back to the matter at hand.

Giving birth means at some point the woman in question got porked (and I am purposefully using harsh language throughout) and not much else. It’s all the stuff that goes on after giving birth that is the important thing. All that stuff that goes into being a parent and a mother that makes the difference. Giving birth alone... well, that’s just fulfilling a biological urge and as animals we’re a bit hard-wired for these things.

I can applaud all the hard work and effort a woman puts into raising a kid (or several kids). Most of the women I know with kids would throw themselves in front of a bus before letting something happen to their kid (but again, there is some of that hard-wired stuff going on there too). And no doubt, moms are way, waaaayyyy different from dads on a whole bunch of levels.

That’s something I can applaud but the other stuff? The act of giving birth? That simply has more to do with biology than anything else.